Assistant Professor of Psychology - Search 67640
College of Behavioral and Social Sciences/Department of Psychology
The Department of Psychology in the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences invites applications and nominations for the position of Assistant Professor of Psychology. This position is located on the Armstrong campus, but may require teaching on the other campuses.
Georgia Southern University is the state's largest and most comprehensive center of higher education south of Atlanta. With 141 degree programs at the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern is designated a Carnegie Doctoral/Research university and serves more than 27,000 students on three vibrant campuses—the Armstrong campus in Savannah, the Statesboro campus, and the Liberty campus in Hinesville. Georgia Southern offers an attractive campus environment that encourages learning, discovery, and personal growth. Nationally accredited academic programs prepare diverse scholars for leadership and service as working citizens.
Since 1906, the University's hallmark has been a culture of engagement that bridges theory with practice, extends the learning environment beyond the classroom, and promotes student growth and life success. Central to the University's mission is the faculty's dedication to excellence in teaching and the development of a fertile learning environment exemplified by a free exchange of ideas, high academic expectations, and individual responsibility for academic achievement. Faculty, staff, and students embrace core values expressed through integrity, civility, kindness, collaboration, and a commitment to lifelong learning, wellness, and social responsibility.
Within this setting, the Department of Psychology offers a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, and an APA-accredited PsyD. This individual position will teach courses at the undergraduate level on the Armstrong campus, located in Savannah, Georgia. The Armstrong campus offers the Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and a Bachelor of Science in Psychology with two options for concentrations: Experimental Psychology or Neuroscience.
Position Description. Reporting to the Department Chair, the position of Assistant Professor of Psychology requires teaching courses on the principles of learning that include laboratories with nonhuman animals, psychological statistics, research methods, and courses in the candidate's specialty area; conducting research; and performing departmental and university service responsibilities. This position will be responsible for oversight of the nonhuman animal laboratory. The position is an academic (9/10 month), tenure-track appointment, and the salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• Earned doctorate in Psychology, Experimental Analysis of Behavior, or a closely related field with at least 18 graduate semester hours in Psychology, by August 1, 2019
• Evidence of college/university teaching excellence
• Ability to include undergraduates in research that results in peer-reviewed publications consistent with a teaching-focused position
• Ability to teach principles of learning in a nonhuman animal laboratory setting
• Ability to lead and maintain a nonhuman animal laboratory consistent with IACUC standards
• Interest in teaching courses related to statistics and research methodology, as well as specialty courses that complement those of existing faculty on the Armstrong campus
• Effective communication skills
• Experience working with diverse populations
• Ability to contribute to a positive, collaborative work environment
• Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution
• Evidence of successful teaching and research mentoring in a nonhuman animal laboratory
• Evidence of excellence in teaching principles of learning, statistics, research methods, and other courses that complement those of existing faculty at the Armstrong campus
• Interest in pursuing funding, particularly grants that benefit students
• Evidence of successful outcomes with undergraduate research projects
Screening of applications begins October 28, 2018, and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is August 1, 2019. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Nancy McCarley, Search Chair, Search 67640
Georgia Southern University
Electronic mail: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
More information about the institution is available through http://apptrkr.com/1307051 or https://cbss.georgiasouthern.edu/psychology/. Georgia Southern University seeks to recruit individuals who are committed to working in diverse academic and professional communities and who are committed to excellence in teaching, scholarship, and professional service within the University and beyond. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity institution. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA to participate in the search process should contact the Vice Provost.
To apply, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1307051
Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-5468 or HR-TDD: (912) 478-0791.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.