Research Scientist 1
The NJ Department of Children and Families (DCF), Office of Applied Research and Evaluation (OARE) seeks an experienced Research Scientist to fill a position that will independently initiate and coordinate a research or developed program in a specified professional field.
The selected candidate may supervise lower levels of Research Scientists and other technical staff, manages high level technical projects and reports results to designated officials for inter- and intra-agency response; does related work.
This position reports in-person to OARE in Trenton, NJ and may be eligible to work remotely for up to two days in a calendar week.
This position will independently oversee research projects for the Office of Applied Research & Evaluation with the goal of producing actionable findings to inform the prevention of child maltreatment and to strengthen families in New Jersey. This is a fast-paced office with approximately 20 research staff. Anticipated tasks of this position include:
* Independently design and implement complex research projects across the Department using quantitative or mixed-methods, in alignment with agency priorities.
* Manage and coordinate research teams consisting of both research and programmatic staff.
* Review, summarize, and communicate findings from relevant scientific and national literature related to research projects.
* Design research protocols.
* Develop and maintain data collection tools, systems and databases, as needed.
* Oversee and manage fieldwork and data collection efforts of staff, as needed.
* Maintain analytical files including programming code, analytical outputs, and tables with research findings.
* Oversee and conduct analysis of quantitative data using advanced analytical methods, including regression analyses, and statistical software packages such as SPSS.
* Engage with stakeholder groups to implement research projects, interpret data and develop recommendations.
* Communicate findings to stakeholders at multiple levels and with various backgrounds through presentations and written products.
* Review methodological approaches, workplans, data collection efforts, analysis of data, presentation of findings and written reports of research staff.
* Provide direct supervision and oversight to research staff.
EDUCATION: Master's from an accredited college or university in a discipline appropriate to the position.
SPECIAL NOTE: Candidates must possess an advanced degree in Public Health, Social Work, Psychology, Data Science or other Social Science field from an accredited college or university, a PhD is preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Four (4) years of full-time experience in a field appropriate to the position.
NOTE: A Doctorate in a discipline appropriate to the position may be substituted for two (2) years of experience indicated above.
SPECIAL NOTE: Successful candidates will have at least four (4) years of experience in public health, social work, child welfare, health services, or epidemiological research. Proven quantitative analysis skills including in the analysis of large administrative datasets. Ability to think of both the big picture and operational details simultaneously. Ability to multitask with ease, prioritizing appropriately. Proven track record of delivering accurate, comprehensive results within tight deadlines. Staff management experience. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to work independently while balancing the needs of multiple parties. Excellent problem-solving and superior interpersonal and collaboration skills.
RESUME NOTE: Eligibility determinations will be based upon information presented on the resume only. Applicants who possess a degree from a college or university outside the United States must provide an evaluation of one’s transcripts from a recognized evaluation service at the time of submission by the above closing date. Failure to do so may result in your ineligibility.
LICENSE: Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
SALARY: $87,528.26 - $124,980.46
PUBLIC SERVICE LOAN FORGIVENESS: As a prospective employee of the State of New Jersey, you may be eligible for federal loan forgiveness programs and state repayment assistance programs. For more information, please visit the U.S. Department of Education’s website at StudentAid.gov/PSLF.
VETERANS PREFERENCE: Are you a veteran? If so, proof of your NJ Veterans Preference is required at application. Please provide a copy of your New Jersey Civil Service Commission NOTIFICATION OF VETERANS STATUS along with your cover letter and resume. For information on how to apply for Veterans Preference in the State of NJ, please visit the Civil Service Commission's website at http://www.state.nj.us/csc/seekers/veterans.
SAME APPLICANTS: If you are applying under the NJ “SAME” program, your supporting documents (Schedule A or B letter), must be submitted along with your resume by the closing date indicated above. For more information on the SAME Program visit their Website at: https://nj.gov/csc/same/overview/index.shtml , email: SAME@csc.nj.gov , or call CSC at (833) 691-0404.
RESIDENCY LAW: Please refer to the New Jersey Department of Children and Families’ website at www.state.nj.us/dcf.
TO APPLY: You must submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document, saving the file by your Last Name, First Name.
Please indicate in your cover letter the Posting # and where you found this job opportunity. Send the file to:
The Department of Children and Families is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering a respectful and inclusive work environment which reflects the diversity of the state we serve.