Editor, Observer, News, and Scientific Content
The Association for Psychological Science (APS), a DC-based scientific organization with a collegial, collaborative culture, seeks an experienced editor/writer with a strong scientific background to oversee content for its member magazine, website, and other digital content.
APS is dedicated to the advancement and representation of scientific psychology across the full range of research areas in this diverse field. APS members around the world include leading scientists, scholars, educators, and students. APS publishes six highly respected journals, convenes scientific conventions and workshops, publishes a member magazine and related digital content, and has a broad public outreach and policy advocacy program that raises the visibility of APS members, their research, and the psychological science field as a whole.
About the Position
Reporting to the Director of Scientific and Public Affairs, this position works closely with staff members from across APS in support of the organization’s strategic priorities. The Editor of Observer, News, and Scientific Content helps identify, analyze, and synthesize scientific insights and expertise involving the state of psychological science and collaborates across departments to produce content that is scientifically accurate, forward-thinking, and responsive to the needs of APS members and prospective members.
· Proposes, researches, creates, and/or edits content for dissemination via APS communication channels and in support of APS initiatives. This may include features for the Observer (APS’s online member magazine), webinars, webinar or convention scripts and write-ups, research summaries, news releases, science policy updates, and departments such as the Observer Methods.
· Works closely with other APS staff and freelancers to help interpret complex research articles, to identify journal articles of potential importance to the field or other target audiences (for articles, podcasts, webinars, social media, press releases, or other content), and to ensure scientific accuracy of content based on those articles.
· Tracks content and assignments across channels, platforms, and authors/producers to ensure timely production and appropriate mix of voices, major fields within psychological science, and content types.
· Authors or commissions 1-2 articles for each issue of the Observer.
· Writes or coordinates and edits APS-staff or freelance-written news stories about APS activities, awards, new board members, etc.
· Commissions Observer and other website content from APS members and freelance science writers.
· Manages the researcher/author review process for Observer articles and other content.
· Drafts text for Observer email newsletter; supports additional newsletters as needed.
· Works with the digital content manager to select images and illustrations and to develop complementary multimedia products.
· Helps support news media relations, which may include writing press releases.
· Ensures editorial clarity, consistency, and scientific accuracy across all APS communications channels.
· Contributes ideas and scientific expertise to initiatives, priorities, and efforts more broadly.
· Other duties as assigned.
This position may require travel to and participation in meetings, workshops, and other events.
Various combinations of education and professional experience will be considered.
· Master’s or other advanced/terminal degree in psychology or a related scientific field
· 2 to 5 years’ experience in science writing and editing
· Ability to convert complex scientific information into language for both professional and lay audiences
· Sound judgement
· Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Teams, SharePoint, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
· Proficiency with WordPress a plus
· Familiarity with Newswise, EurekAlert!, or other news dissemination platforms a plus
· Ability to juggle multiple projects with minimal oversight
· Deadline-oriented time management skills
· Excellent organizational and project management skills, and a keen eye for detail
· Excellent interpersonal, problem resolution, and teamwork skills
· A commitment to excellence and a desire to exceed expectations
APS offers a competitive salary, great benefits, and a collegial environment in a beautiful Dupont Circle office space. Hybrid work is an option, but this is not a fully remote position. Email resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to hr [at] psychologicalscience [dot] org. No telephone calls please. APS is an equal opportunity employer.